Lot #113

A.H. Robinson
Saint-Siméon

oil on panel
signed lower right
8.25 x 10.5 ins ( 21 x 26.7 cms )

Auction Estimate: $40,000.00$30,000.00 - $40,000.00

Price Realized $84,000.00
Sale date: December 1st 2022

Provenance:
Mrs. A.H. Robinson, Portland, Maine
Acquired by the present Private Collection, circa 1965
Exhibited:
“Albert H. Robinson. The Mature Years”, The Kitchener‒Waterloo Art Gallery; travelling to Art Gallery of Windsor; The Edmonton Art Gallery; Glenbow Museum, Calgary; Agnes Etherington Art Centre, Kingston; London Regional Art Gallery; Art Gallery of Hamilton; Beaverbrook Art Gallery, Fredericton, 2 September 1982‒30 October 1983, no. 27
“Collector’s Canada: Selections from a Toronto Private Collection”, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto; travelling to Musée du Québec, Quebec City; Vancouver Art Gallery; Mendel Art Gallery, Saskatoon, 14 May 1988‒7 May 1989, no. 82
“Albert H. Robinson Retrospective”, Walter Klinkhoff Gallery, Montreal, 1-24 September 1994, no. 14
“Embracing Canada: Landscapes from Krieghoff to the Group of Seven”, Vancouver Art Gallery; travelling to the Glenbow Museum, Calgary; Art Gallery of Hamilton, 30 October 2015‒25 September 2016
Literature:
“Retrospective Exhibition Albert H. Robinson (1881‒1956)”, Galerie Walter Klinkhoff, Montreal, 1994, no. 14, page 5, reproduced page 15
Dennis Reid, “Collector’s Canada: Selections from a Toronto Private Collection”, Toronto, 1988, no. 82, reproduced page 76
Ian Thom, et al., “Embracing Canada: Landscapes from Krieghoff to the Group of Seven”, Vancouver/London, 2015, page 202, reproduced page 162
Jennifer Watson, “Albert Robinson. The Mature Years”, Kitchener, 1982, no. 27, pages 26, 44, reproduced page 43
An exemplar of the modern regionalist movement that developed in Canada during the interwar period, Albert H. Robinson first worked as an illustrator for the Hamilton newspaper in his hometown. He then enrolled in formal training in the visual arts, which led him to Paris, where he completed his studies at the École des Beaux‒Arts (1905‒1906). Upon returning to Canada, he was taken under the wing of local Montreal patrons. At the turn of the 1910s, Robinson befriended A.Y. Jackson, with whom he painted in France in 1911‒1912. A member of the Pen and Pencil Club of Montreal (1911) and the Arts Club of Montreal (1919), he was elected a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts in 1920, the same year in which he participated as a guest artist at the inaugural exhibition of the Group of Seven in Toronto.

In contrast to the Group, Robinson would remain a sensitive and authentic interpreter of the Quebec landscape. In doing so, the painter shared much with the artists of the Beaver Hall Group in Montreal, where he found many travel companions along the paths through Quebec villages. In 1933, he was one of the founding members of the Canadian Group of Painters. After suffering a heart attack at this time, the artist gradually abandoned his painting practice.

“Saint‒Siméon” exemplifies the quiet strength that animates the works of Robinson that collectors so appreciate. With its wooden houses huddled against the church and a horse‒drawn sleigh plodding through the heavy snow, the scene would seem antiquated if we compare it to the more modernist views of the Canadian Vickers shipyard that Robinson produced at the turn of the 1920s. However, we should not underestimate the contribution of this modern artist, who celebrates themes of traditional regionalism with great sophistication. As Jackson wrote, the subject in Robinson’s work is not what matters; it is his personal interpretation of it that counts. This can be recognized by the refined and balanced architecture of the composition, the use of intense and dazzling colours, and his method of generous paint application.

The view of the “Saint‒Siméon” sketch and the painting it inspired, “Afternoon, Saint-Siméon” (McMichael Canadian Art Collection, 1977.35), stands out from other artists’ bird’s‒eye views of this picturesque corner of Charlevoix, wedged between the Laurentian mountains and the vastness of the St. Lawrence River. Rather, Robinson was fascinated by the isolated nature of the location, bordered by the vast mountainside, which he compressed to the same plane as the roofs and snow‒covered slopes. On the one hand, the geometry of the lines and volumes reinforces the peaceful and unchanging effect of this small community of Saint‒Siméon. On the other hand, the extreme delicacy of the white and gray tones, as well as the liveliness of the brushstrokes, imbued with rapid and ample movements, unify the surface, which reveals the copper‒coloured primer coat. The charm and beauty that emanate from the painted sketch come from the balance of diagonals and curves, warm lights and cool shadows. These qualities manifest in various contrasting effects, such as the solidity of the church spire pointing into the sky and the snowflakes in motion.

We extend our thanks to Dr. Michèle Grandbois, Canadian art historian, for her assistance in researching this artwork and for contributing the preceding essay.



Représentant du courant régionaliste moderne qui s’est développé au Canada pendant l’entre-deux-guerres, Albert H. Robinson a d’abord été illustrateur pour le journal de sa ville natale, Hamilton, avant d’entreprendre une formation en arts visuels qui le mène à Paris où il parfait ses études à l’École des beaux-Arts (1905-1906). De retour au Canada, il est pris sous l’aile de mécènes montréalais. Au tournant des années 1910, Robinson se lie d’amitié avec A. Y. Jackson avec qui il peint en France en 1911-1912. Membre du Pen and Pencil Club of Montreal (1911) et de l’Arts Club de Montréal (1919), il est élu membre de l’Académie royale des arts du Canada en 1920, l’année même de sa participation, à titre d’artiste invité, à l’exposition inaugurale du Groupe des Sept, à Toronto. À la différence de ces derniers, Robinson demeurera un interprète sensible et authentique du paysage québécois. En cela, le peintre partage beaucoup avec les artistes du Groupe de Beaver Hall, à Montréal, où il compte plusieurs compagnons de route sur les chemins des villages du Québec. En 1933, il est un des membres fondateurs du Groupe des peintres canadiens. Victime d’une crise cardiaque à cette époque, l’artiste abandonnera peu à peu la pratique de la peinture.

“Saint-Siméon” est exemplaire de la force tranquille qui anime les œuvres de Robinson tant appréciées par les collectionneurs. Avec ses maisons en bois blotties contre l’église et sa cariole avançant péniblement dans la neige abondante, la scène paraîtra surannée si on la compare aux vues modernistes du chantier naval de la Canadian Vickers que Robinson réalise au tournant des années 1920. Or, ne nous méprenons pas sur la contribution de cet artiste moderne qui célèbre avec raffinement les thématiques d’un régionalisme traditionnel. Peu importe le sujet écrira Jackson à propos de Robinson, c’est son interprétation très personnelle qui compte. Celle-ci se reconnaît à l’architecture raffinée et équilibrée de la composition, à l’emploi de couleurs d’une grande intensité à défaut d’être éclatantes, et à sa façon d’appliquer généreusement la matière.

La vue de l’esquisse “Saint-Siméon” et du tableau qui s’en inspire, “Afternoon, St. Siméon” (coll. McMichael Canadian Art Collection) se distingue des vues plongeantes que nous ont laissées d’autres peintres de ce coin pittoresque de Charlevoix, coincé entre les montagnes laurentiennes et l’immensité du fleuve Saint-Laurent. Robinson a plutôt été fasciné par le caractère isolé du lieu dont il retient le site à flanc de montagne en compressant la vue sur les plans des toitures et des pentes enneigées. D’une part, la géométrie des lignes et des volumes renforce l’effet paisible et immuable de cette petite communauté de Saint-Siméon. D’autre part, l’extrême délicatesse des tons de blanc et de gris de même que la vivacité des coups de pinceau, empreints de mouvements rapides et amples, unifient la surface qui laisse voir la couche d’apprêt de couleur cuivrée. Le charme et la beauté qui se dégagent de l’esquisse peinte tiennent à l’équilibre des diagonales et des courbes, des lumières chaudes et des ombres froides. Ces qualités se manifestent dans une variété d’effets contrastants comme la solidité de la flèche de l’église qui pointe dans le ciel et la mouvance des flocons de neige.

Nous désirons remercier l’historienne d’art canadien Dr Michèle Grandbois pour son aide dans la recherche de cette œuvre et sa contribution à l’essai précédent.

Share this item with your friends

Albert Henry Robinson
(1881 - 1956) Canadian Group of Painters, RCA

Albert Henry Robinson (RCA) was born in Hamilton, Ontario in 1881. Robinson studied in Hamilton with John S. Gordon and left for Paris in 1903. He continued his training at the Julian Academy with Bouguereau and Bachet, and then with Ferrier at the L’Ecole des Beaux-Arts. During his time there he travelled to Normandy and Corsica. After returning to Hamilton, John S. Gordon hired him as an assistant and Robinson exhibited his work for the first time in 1906. In 1910 he met and befriended A.Y. Jackson. Between 1918 and 1933 Robinson travelled along the shores of the St. Lawrence and in the Laurentians painting many landscapes, which constitute the bulk of his work.